Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Using artifacts to engage, enrich and encourage ELLs in the classroom


              Image result for english classroom clipart


           In developing my lesson plans to fit the protocol of the portfolio my state requires for a teaching license I have been compiling data on my students.  In looking at all the data on my students, I have become very interested in how to better engage the vast number of English Language Learners in my classes.  I want our classroom environment and the lessons I’m presenting to give them meaningful opportunities to become more comfortable in their speaking, writing and reading of English.  With my classrooms being over 50% English Language Learners I really want to know how best to engage, and grow their writing, reading and even speaking skills.

                Of all the lesson types I’ve done or have seen done with these students this year, the most impactful and the most engaging have typically involved the production of or interaction with some sort of artifact.  We’ve done window pane style vocabulary where we introduce students to words with an image they draw first, we’ve done book cover investigations where we look at an image and try to infer what the text might be about, we’ve produced AVID one pagers that include illustrations and we’ve created detail rich sentences on script strips with added color.  Give these students choral reading, Cornell notes, quick writes or a writing assignment and they struggle.  Give them the chance to draw and write or color and write or draw and discuss and the interaction level and participation increases exponentially.

                In the November/December 2015 issue of the Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, Réngine Randall and Mia Lynn Mercurio published an article about the power of artifacts in the classroom as a motivator for learning and developing more literate through process and application in students.  Based on their article and the work of advocates for multi-modal learning like Tom Romano, Troy Hicks, Bomer, and many strategies advocated by Marzano – the resounding opinions seems to be that artifacts are a great way to engage and motivate our students. 

                Our students are consumers of multi-modal literacy every day through their use of technology and social media and as Randall and Mercurio state, “our ability to impact student achievement rests on innovative instructional practices that enable teachers to meet students where they are with the materials that they are best able to read and interpret.”  The message seems pretty clear to me – if I want to meet my students where they are and have them be more engaged in the learning process I need to consider the production, analysis and display of artifacts in my teaching.  Again to quote Randall and Mercurio, “objects, artifacts, and materials matter precisely because they are tangible and often more central to students’ lives than a text alone.”  Artifacts, it seems, are a powerful learning tool and I suspect, for my students who are English Language Learners, being able to connect their understanding of text, writing and critical thinking in conjunction with an artifact is a much more meaningful way to allow them to dig deeper into how they feel about a particular event, theme or piece of writing.  I have seen this myself and have even taught it myself.  I brought cover art investigations to my 8th grade ELA students and it provided us with a thoughtful way to consider a text before even reading a single word.  We were able to go back and revisit the cover after reading and discuss what we have accurately inferred and what new things we saw after our reading.  Even better was that many of my quieter language learner students actively participated. 

 “Also, of no small importance is how the use of materials and artifactual literacies might                 positively change intervention or developmental reading classes intended to support                           underperforming students. Such an approach is not a perfect or straight path to raising                   achievement, but it may be one that improves the development of transferable academic                       skills, promotes engagement and curiosity, informs action, and allows for greater self-­                         efficacy,” (Randall & Mercurio, 327).

        I have always seen the benefit and loved the idea of multi-genre projects, portfolios, and the integration of art and technology in the ELA classroom, but this new information and the depth to which it positively affects English Language Learners gives me a whole new sense of motivation to make artifacts and the opportunity to develop and use them in the ELA classroom all the more pressing. 




Works cited:


Randall, R., & Mercurio, M. L. (2015). Valuing Stuff. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy J Adolesc Adult Liter, 59(3), 319-327. Retrieved February 23, 2016. 

4 comments:

  1. Ms. Tolbert,

    Working with ELL students can be extremely difficult and I’m glad your tackling down this topic! Artifacts seem like a great way to bring in outside material into the classroom to help engage students in the learning.

    I wish I would’ve done what you did with the novel Fahrenheit 451. I’m currently in the middle of teaching the novel right now and if I had my students take a look at the book cover and make inferences, students would’ve felt more engaged the beginning.

    After seeing your wiki share yesterday about how you teach vocabulary, I think you’re doing a great job at helping your ELL students fully understand/comprehend what it is that you’re teaching. I think the visuals that you provide for your students are really going to help. I remember when I was an ESOL student! I always appreciated any sort of visual learning.

    Thank you for sharing your ideas!

    Quynh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Quynh! I will admit to not being enamored of the window pane style approach to vocabulary, but the difference it has made for my students is so evident that I find I really enjoy it now. Plus, we all have a good laugh about my drawing skills. :)

      You might consider - if you have time - having students draw their own cover or book jacket for Farenheit 451 based on a favorite scene or theme from the book. That could make for some fantastic artifacts!

      Thank you for your kind words and feedback.

      --Mrs. Tolbert

      Delete
  2. Ms. Tolbert, thank you for this insightful post on meeting the needs of English langage learners. Like you, I probably would not have been enamored with the Window Pane Vocabulary strategy if I'd just read about it, but when I saw it in action in your classroom, my perspective shifted dramatically. I saw students engage in talking about the six vocab terms, and when it came time to reveal the terms (later than I would have chosen, but my instincts were wrong), students were super excited to find out what they were ... so cool!

    I can easily see this connecting to your 2015 KATE presentation and evolving into a new presentation for 2016. Are you familiar with this web resource: http://www.colorincolorado.org/teaching-english-language-learners ?

    Also, thanks for being such a collegial respondent for your colleagues ... an encouraging, idea-rich reply for each one! Thank you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your passion for finding ways to best help your students learn. Your excitement and willingness to help your students learn will help so many young people rise to their potential. Thanks for your efforts on behalf of your students!

    ReplyDelete