Thursday, November 5, 2015

Wrangling Reluctant Writers

               


               My 8th grade students are in the midst of writing their first five paragraph essay of the school year.  In continuing with the theme with these students this year, writing is like pulling teeth from a chicken or herding cats – in other words – HARD.  I realize that with middle school aged students the push back on writing is not unheard of or even uncommon, but this group of young people is especially reticent and chatty (in other words largely unfocused). 

                This is when I am thankful for my methods class, time to talk with my Mentor Teacher (MT), and the bevy of texts and journals at my disposal to fine tune how I can better approach this negative attitude about writing as an exercise and try to combat it in my own teaching – both next semester and in my future classroom.  I sort of relish this time as a pre-service student teacher to take a bit of a backseat and learn from my MT as we struggle with this class and their attitude toward writing.  It really forces me to consider what I might try to do to have a different outcome in my own classroom as well as watching my MT differentiate and change instruction as needed to try and coax these students to be more engaged in the writing process.

                One thing I think is truly missing for my students is the exercise of writing.  By that I mean seeing writing as a sort of muscle that you need to work out and build-up. Something that requires daily attention to keep it sharp and always available. For these students they are only writing a couple days a week and never really for themselves – other than text messages and Twitter - and I wonder how much different things could be if writing were a daily exercise.

                Randy Bomer is probably one of my favorite authors on the subject of adolescents and writing and he firmly espouses the belief that “it’s not enough just to write in response to other authors’ texts” (Bomer 167).  He is a staunch and continued believer in students having writer’s notebooks where they can get their own thoughts on paper and hone and develop them.  Through this they learn to value their inner voice and explore their own thought processes.  I wonder how differently my current 8th graders would feel about writing an essay had they been writing each day of the school year in a writing notebook?  Perhaps a better way to start their morning (this is a first hour class) is to give them those 10 minutes of bellwork  as distraction free to write for themselves and get comfortable with the physical and mental act of writing so it doesn’t seem to daunting. 

                Another idea that really sticks out in my mind as a way to motivate students through the hardest part of writing is one that Kelly Gallagher discusses  frequently- the idea that “when it comes to writing, the best way to know how is by seeing the writing process consistently modeled by the best writer in the classroom – the teacher” (Gallagher 48).  

                Watching the teacher write – this makes so much sense to me. If students can watch someone else writing and see for themselves that writing, even for the supposed “expert” in the room,  is not an easy task.  We have fits and starts, we constantly revise and edit, tweak a word here or there and move around sentences.  Writing – for us mortals – is a messy process whether you are the students or the teacher. I do think Gallagher perhaps overstates our position as the “best” writer in the classroom and I prefer to think of myself as having more experience at writing than my students.  I truly believe there are great results to be had if we can share our writing process live with our students.  Yes, mess and all.

               I actually did this on a small scale with my students for a unit I taught when we were discussing fear.  As soon as I got up the whiteboard to start brainstorming and creating my sentence to define fear I had students offering encouragement, more adjectives, and eventually spurring me to finish so they could see my final sentence.  Seeing me up there working through the process, adding words, relating ideas and not dashing off a sentence immediately seemed to encourage their own creative process.  Yes, it was only one sentence per student, but it was authentic work that bore the hallmark of the individuals in that class (for the most part – there were of course a few who did not want to go through the process).  I want more of that effort and that ability to reinforce each other’s writing in my own classroom.

                A third idea that I find compelling and in know that my daughter's 8th grade teacher urged her students to do it as well as knowing a fellow teacher who did it with great success with her 7th graders  last year - is participating in Nanowrimo for Young Writers (http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/how-does-nanowrimo-work-for-young-writers). Nanowrimo is National Novel Writing Month and it takes place each November. They offer a free (my favorite price) workbook for elementary, middle and high school students that includes all the materials they need to work toward a specific word goal for the month and to develop and work on a novel. The program offers tools that encourage students to consider character and plot development and walks them through the process to help them grow the tool set they need to write daily for the month of November. 

           Used in tandem with writer's notebooks and even with me modeling my own work for my students I think this would make for a powerful community building exercise. We could workshop together as a class on ideas or helping peers get un-stuck if they have writer's block.  We could share passages of our own work that we particularly enjoyed writing or write for a few quiet companionable minutes together - teacher and students - as a community of writers.  What a gift to be able to give them!



                As always, I’m looking at where I am and what my students are doing and trying to find ways that I could broaden or enrich their experience when I am the lead teacher.  I enjoy seeing how my MT tackles these tough issues and also enjoy finding experts like Bomer and Gallagher who oftentimes align with what I would like to see my students doing.  Of course, there are the details of how to implement writers’s notebooks and modeling my own writing, but I have high hopes that through next semester and before I have my own classroom I will continue to explore, plan and solidify my ideas for my first year of teaching and take that experience and continue exploring, planning and solidifying each subsequent year for the benefit of my students.




Works Cited

Bomer, Randy. Time for Meaning: Crafting Literate Lives in Middle and High School. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 1995. Print.


Bomer, Randy. Building Adolescent Literacy in Today's English Classrooms. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2011. Print.



Gallagher, Kelly. Teaching Adolescent Writers. Portland, Me: Stenhouse, 2006. Print. 

9 comments:

  1. Ms. Tolbert,

    I loved your post! There are many things that you addressed, but one that I wanted to shout praise on would be the teacher showing their students how they write. In some ways, this scares me, but in other ways, I think this is a great idea! The only reason it scares me is because (as we all are) I'm my harshest critic and while my students may (or may not) think that my writing is up to par, will I? But I feel that is easy enough to overcome. You simply have to try it. But I love the idea and I never really thought about doing that before!

    What would you use as a strategy for the revision/workshop process? This is something that I am constantly thinking about because in college, it is easy for us as students to actually workshop and put forth effort. But in middle school or high school, these students may need a little boost. They may not know exactly what they are looking for. As I have gone through my methods class as well as my content classes, I am continuing to find different ways that students could potentially workshop (effectively) within the classroom.

    I really enjoyed your post!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Naylor,

      Thank you for your kind feedback. I agree, sharing our own writing is at least mildly terrifying, but I also consider how students must feel sharing their writing with at least one peer and me and yowzers - that has to be terrifying for them too! Kelly Gallagher is a huge proponent of it and his work really inspires me to give it a try.

      I am still figuring out what workshop process I'd ideally use and it would likely change depending on the type of assignment we were doing. I think it would be great to start by having the students and me work together on revising my work first as an example and then move on to doing peer reviews. I have seen some excellent examples from our peers on doing peer review that is more focused on the flow of the work than the mechanics and I love that approach. We'll have to compare notes as we get closer to graduating in May and see what ideas on work shopping we can trade.

      Thanks Mr. Naylor!

      Delete
  2. Ms. Tolbert,

    There are so many great insights in this post! I especially appreciated your focus on modeling writing for your students; I have been working to incorporate that into my poetry unit with my classes and your post gave me several new ideas! I also agree with your thoughts on getting rid or super structured bell work occasionally and giving students more freedom to spend time writing for their own purposes. It definitely takes some getting used to; I've tried it before and the lack of direction through the kids off at first. However, if students already had a list of their writing territories in place, I believe the practice would go much more smoothly!

    I also much thank you for introducing me to another Bomer text! Adding it to my Amazon Wishlist!

    Thank you for sharing.

    - Brooke Pritchett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Pritchett,

      Thank you for stopping by! I'm so glad to hear you have had success modeling writing for your students - yay! I adore the idea and largely because it has to be nerve-wracking for students to submit work to their teachers. I also think it helps students see that writing is work for all of us - they aren't alone if they struggle a bit getting started.

      I really think a key to the writing notebooks is starting early and keeping it going and I love (LOVE) the idea of having students explore their writing territories - this is another thing we as teachers could share with our students. Thank you for mentioning it.

      You are more than welcome to borrow the Bomer text - I will bring it to class on Thursday for you. :)

      Mrs. Tolbert

      Delete
  3. Mrs. Tolbert,

    I really love how you discussed how teachers need to model writing for their students. It is hard to make mistakes in front of your students, but like you said, it shows them how even experienced teachers have a hard time sometimes writing.

    I also love the idea of daily writing. I know everyone stresses daily reading, but writing can be more beneficial for students, especially middle school students, starting their academic writing career. I wish a teacher gave me that opportunity in school. I may have learned to love writing and become better at it.

    I'm glad you are getting a lot of experience from you Mentor Teacher!

    Thank you for sharing!

    Ms. Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Rodriguez for your comments. I know that I am trying to get into a habit of daily writing myself - it is not as easy as you'd think! My Mentor Teaching has been extremely receptive to my thoughts and suggestions on how to get our students to be more comfortable writing and I'm really hoping to see some improvement.

      Making mistakes in front of students is hard but, I love that it helps them see as human and imperfect - even as the classroom leader. :)

      Thanks for reading.

      Mrs. Tolbert

      Delete
  4. I can envision this extraordinary post becoming an article for Kansas English. So many productive and informed ideas that you are putting into practice!! That's exactly the kind of work that gets published in professional journals. You've definitely got something here, Ms. Tolbert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Cramer - I would love to contribute to Kansas English at some point and especially after I put some of this into practice and see some actual results. My Mentor has been very receptive to the idea of having our students write with more regularity and I really hope we can see the results in their future writing.

      Thank you for your continued encouragement!

      Mrs. Tolbert

      Delete
  5. You have some great ideas on how to engage your students in writing. My own students loved when I wrote with them, shared my rough draft, and then explained how I would revise. It's great for them to see the writing process in action. Good luck with creating writers in your classes.

    ReplyDelete